Remember these safety precautions when you work with dry ice!
Guidelines for Safe Dry Ice Use
- Use cotton gloves, towels, or pot holders to move dry ice.
- Use in a ventilated location.
- Children should be supervised by an adult when using dry ice.
The temperature of dry ice is -109º F, cold enough to freeze skin cells and cause an injury similar to a burn. Always handle dry ice with protective gloves or a towel.
Store dry ice in an insulated container. Do not store ice in a container that is completely airtight. As the ice changes to CO2 (carbon dioxide) gas, it will cause an airtight container to expand and possibly explode.
Dry ice gives off CO2 into the air, so if dry ice has been in a closed car, van, or room for more than 10 minutes, open the doors and windows before entering. Otherwise, you will experience difficulty breathing. Leave the area immediately if you start to breathe quickly or have any difficulty breathing.
Intentional Misuse of Dry Ice May Be Harmful or Fatal.
Do not touch dry ice.
Dry ice is a skin and eye irritant. Avoid contact with skin, mouth, eyes, and clothing. May cause severe frostbite or burns.
Do not eat dry ice.
Dry ice is harmful if eaten or swallowed. If eaten, seek medical help immediately.
Dry ice could cause suffocation.
Dry ice changes to CO2 gas as it sublimates (melts). Do not use or store in a confined space.
Do not place dry ice in airtight containers.
Airtight containers may explode as dry ice converts to CO2 gas.
Do not store dry ice where people sleep.
Only use dry ice in open or well-ventilated areas. Otherwise, a lack of oxygen (suffocation) can occur, causing serious injury or death.